Looking through old photo albums and reminiscing about the ‘good old days’ is a wonderful activity to keep memories alive. Often, we have so many memories stored in our minds that aren’t always easy to remember. Keeping memories alive is a wonderful way to honour the past and bring joy to the present. Here are a few fun and easy ideas to help you do just that:
- You may have a stash of old photographs or newspaper articles stored away in the back of an old cupboard. Why not create a scrapbook or photo album of all your special moments? Looking back at these pictures and stories can reignite fond memories and help you remember good times. You can ‘dress up’ the pages in your scrapbook with colourful stamps or drawings, or even some handwritten notes.
- Make a tradition of telling stories about your past experiences. Organise a time when the family is gathered around at a dinner or other regular event. This can be a fun activity to do with family and friends, and it helps keep those memories alive in our hearts. Why not have each person share a memory of their favourite childhood toy, or a holiday? This is a great conversation starter and will unlock even more memories that can be shared.
- Write down your favourite memories in a journal. This can be a great way to document special moments that you don't want to forget. You can choose a special book that is only just for your memories. Make a time each week to sit down and write about memories from your school day, friendships, and anything that comes to mind! This will become a great keepsake for yourself and even your friends or family.
- Prepare a meal or treat to commemorate a special event. Doing this will help you relive the moment and make it memorable. If there is an anniversary or a loved one’s birthday and you can’t be with them, celebrate regardless and keep the memory alive.
- Talk to others about your memories. Sharing stories with others is an excellent way to preserve your memories and keep them alive. You could join or start a community group with people your age that can share memories and stories.
What do you do to keep your fond memories alive? Do you scrapbook or make photo albums? We’d love to hear about what you create or do. Leave us a comment or email us and we can showcase your creations in our next newsletter.