- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2-3 large tomatoes (multiple colours make a beautiful tart, but red works just as well)
- Sliced salami, pepperoni or bacon
- 1 cup of your favourite cheese (such as blue cheese, mozzarella, feta, or Parmesan)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, or chopped fresh herbs like basil and oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick aluminium foil.
- Stretch out the puff pastry on the lined baking sheet. With a fork, poke small holes along the bottom.
- Add onions and olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Sauté, stirring frequently, until soft — about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cooked onions over the pastry dough, then top with tomato slices and your meat. Sprinkle with cheese and half of your seasoning or herbs. Season with and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the crust is golden. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs, cut into squares, and enjoy!